The recently concluded Facebook F8 Developer’s Conference had a little bit of everything: workshops, product demos, digital luminaries waxing eloquent on the main stage. Facebook’s product experts freely traded geek info with the technical community. The big shout out was all about Facebook’s determination to be a ‘mobile first’ platform for all its products.
Major Announcements and the Key Takeaways for Digital Marketers
Messenger as Platform
- Integrating features from Messenger into other apps: Content created in-app with dynamic conversations in Messenger folds brands into the conversation
- Users connect directly with businesses: With streamlined Messenger business users connect with brands, build relations and receive business value
- Express yourself with 40 new apps plus audio, video, GIF and photo: The tight integration of the Messenger UX with on-the-fly creation and deployment of app-created content within a message stream
- Now embed Facebook videos across the web: Content creators can now upload videos directly to Facebook
- Mobile videos mark the way forward: Facebook users daily watch 3 billion videos, 65% on mobile devices.
- Upping the visibility of Facebook videos going forward: Embedded videos watched in more places with greater ease enhances brand visibility
- Spherical 360 degree interactive videos coming soon
- Will also play on the Oculus VR platform
Security and Infrastructure Stability
- Security ranked high on Mark Zuckerberg’s keynote address
- “Move fast with stable infrastructure”
- Better security practices emphasized for all aspects of Facebook operations